Recipe of the Month (August 2016)
Welcome to our recipe of the month page where I will be sharing recipes for dishes I serve at Chalet Bluebell, our catered chalet in Les Gets.
Vanilla Roasted Peaches with Star Anise Yoghurt Sorbet, Peach Puree, Crystallised Pecan Nuts, Wild Raspberries
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
Special Equipment: Ice cream machine (optional)
This is a light and tasty dessert full of summer flavours.
The nuts can be made in larger batches and stored in air tight jars. Eat them as a snack or use them on other desserts. You can crystallise almost any other nut in the same way.
I’ve used wild raspberries on this dish as they are growing in abundance around Les Gets. You can use any wild berries or bought berries with this dish.
Roasted Peach & Peach Puree
- 3 Yellow peaches, ripe
- 20g sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- Spilt the peaches in half and remove the stone.
- Scrape the seeds from half the vanilla pod into the sugar and mix together well.
- Sprinkle the sugar on the cut side of the peaches and roast in the oven for 12-15 mins until soft and the skin comes off easily.
- Dice the peach into neat cubes. Reserve the trimmings for the puree.
- Place the peach trimmings and the seeds from the remaining vanilla pod into a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to add a little water if its too thick.
Anise Yoghurt Sorbet
- 400g Yoghurt
- 180g Sugar
- 150g Water
- 25g Glucose
- 3g Citric Acid (or juice of 1 lemon)
- 4 Star anise
- Bring the water, sugar, anise and glucose to a simmer, stir, cover and let cool.
- Pass the sugar syrup through a sieve into the yogurt and blend with a hand blender or blender. Let chill.
- Place in an ice cream machine and churn. If you don’t have an ice cream machine you can place in a container in the freezer and give a good stir every half hour until thick but the texture will not be the same as from an ice cream machine.
Crystallised Pecan Nuts
- 60g Peacan Nuts
- 60g Sugar
- 45g Water
- Roughly chop the pecans into 2 or 3 pieces.
- Stir the sugar and water together in a small saucepan and bring to a boil then turn down to a simmer.
- If you have a sugar thermometer heat the sugar to 135C. If not then heat the sugar until you see a couple of spots or sugar caramelizing close to the edge of the pan. At this point remove from the heat and add the nuts to the pan and keep stirring until the sugar turns white and has crystalized coating the nuts.
- 24 baby mint tips
- 24 Wild Raspberries(or normal raspberries)
- Place 5 or 6 pieces of nuts, diced peach, raspberries and mint tips around the plate.
- Spoon the peach puree on the plate.
- Add a scoop of sorbet.