Recipe of the Month (June 2016)
Welcome to our recipe of the month page where I will be sharing recipes for dishes I serve at Chalet Bluebell, our catered chalet in Les Gets.
Iberico Ham with Mozzarella, Roasted Peach, Basil, Balsamic & Toasted Seeds
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Special Equipment: None
The success of this simple starter is down to the quality of the ingredients you can buy. There is little cooking involved but the flavours & textures from this combination of ingredients is explosive!
I have also added Nasturtium flowers and leaves to my dish as I have them growing in the garden and they add a great peppery note. You could use some rocket leaves instead.
- 1 ripe peach
- Pre-heat an oven to 200C.
- Cut the peaches in half & remove the stone, drizzle with a little olive oil, season with salt and roast in the oven until the top just starts to colour, approx. 10 mins. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- When the peaches have cooled the skin should peel off easily. Dice the peach into small cubes.
- 1/2 bunch basil, washed
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil.
- Cut off the thick basil stalks and discard.
- Blanch the basil in the boiling water for 10 seconds, drain and cool in ice water.
- Squeeze the basil to remove any excess water and roughly chop.
- Place in a spice grinder or pestle mortar with the enough olive oil to make the basil into a loose puree. Blitz or grind to a puree.
- Season with salt.
Toasted Sunflower Seeds
- 10g sunflower seeds
- Add the sunflower seeds to a frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of salt and fry on a medium heat until they start to brown. Drain on a paper towel and let cool.
- Cut the tomatoes in half, drizzle with olive oil and salt and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the mozzarella into cubes and toss in a little basil puree.
- Place 4 or 5 pieces of the mozzarella, tomato & peach around the plate.
- Tear the ham and place a few pieces on the plate.
- Using a small spoon drizzle some basil puree and balsamic on the plate.
- Scatter the seeds around the plate.